1. Help others, and they will help you. Understand their side and be certain that they understand yours.
2. Don’t be mediocre, strive for excellence – it’s the little details that make big things happen.
3. If you want it badly enough, you’ll find a way to do it and succeed. Expect sacrifice. It’s the “currency” of success.
5. Too much debt is a heavy burden to bear. Keep your debt structure light enough so that when you need to, you can remove it.
6. Always be closing! A-B-C
7. Under promise, but over perform. Set realistic and achievable goals. Exceed expectations.
8. Expect and anticipate the unexpected. It’s the rule, not the exception. Change is constant, time marches onward. Nothing is permanent, not failure, not success.
9. Invest with a Margin of Safety. The price of an asset is depressed because of a generally perceived threat; however, the investor, through superior insight, determines the threat is not real and will disappear. The Investor KNOWS, but the speculator only guesses and gambles.
10. As a professional, keep your composure. Know your worth and don’t step down to another’s level.
11. Lead the Pack – Choose the Path – Set the Pace – Make the Rules!
12. It’s not always your enemies who get you into trouble, and it’s not always your friends who get you out of trouble.
13. A customer is not a customer until they are a repeat customer and that is created by consistency in service.
14. Diversify to spread your risk, but don’t reinvent the wheel. Choose opportunities you understand and do your homework thoroughly.
15. Look for the opportunity in every bad situation. Be positive and the door will open that others overlook.
16. Good business strategy steers a course between fear, greed, pride and regret.
17. Focus on Goal Achieving activities. Ask yourself, “Is this a commissionable activity?”
18. Change is inevitable. Improvement is optional.
*Editor’s Note: Stephen Raub has been in the Real Estate Business since 1984 and has picked up many different tips he finds helpful for professionals in the field. Some of the Rules are original and others are from a variety of sources. Because of the way the list was composed, unfortunately it is not possible to credit every source. Investment Realty isn’t claiming ownership of the material and is just sharing the information for professional purposes which we hope you will find both useful and entertaining, too.